Monday, December 17, 2007

Brown's Bitch of the Week

I complain a lot. Really, I do. Why? I'm a crabby 60 year old man in a 25 year old body, I guess. I hate a lot of things in life, Big included. Every week I'm going to take the thing that bothers me the most and bitch about it. I don't give a flying fuck if you read it. If I think the internet is good for cathartic needs, who are you to judge? Ass hat.

This week's bitch: pink sports jerseys

Okay. You know this has been brought up because of the Jessica Simpson abortion (god, I wish) of the Cowboy game on Sunday. However, I've shared my thoughts on that, so I'm not going to rehash those.

This week it's more about this idea that pink versions of jerseys need to be sold to women. Doesn't this just set the "women as legitimate sports fans" movement a mile back? Who in their right mind looks at someone in a pink jersey and says, "I think that's a real fan."?

Listen, I understand how clingy bitches want to be around their boyfriends/husbands all the time. I've dealt with that before, but as annoying as it is, you can't let that nookie attachment besmirch your fanhood in such a way.

There is nothing "cute" about sports. Period. The idea that there should be a need for some kind of a "cute" factor of sports needs to be stopped. I've seen women at Texas games in pink Vince Young jerseys, I'm sure they make A&M 12 jerseys in pink, and we've seen the Cowboy version. I've been to Mavs games and seen pink Dirk jerseys, I've seen pink Michael Young jerseys, and I'm pretty sure a pink Modano sweater exists.

This extends beyond Texas, as we know Donovan McNabb's mother owns pink Eagles jerseys and god knows there's enough pink Red Sox shit to think they should be renamed the Pink Sox (in a lovely irony).

All I'm saying is, get some common sense and realize that if you were actually a fan, you are allowed to own the following: replica jerseys and throwbacks. That. Is. It.

Sorry if you were expecting something funny, but there is nothing funny about this. It's like seeing an obese guy walking up stairs. At first you shake your head in disbelief, and then you're wondering how someone could allow themselves to do such a thing.

UPDATE: Yes, I am aware that some of these pink jerseys are sold to support breast cancer awareness. However, I doubt more than 5% of people who buy them are aware of that. So for the 5% of people who are buying them to support NBCF or Komen foundation, this isn't towards you.

3 comments:

gerry dorsey said...

no argument on this one. i think some of the worst culprits of this, as they are at everything, is the yanks and bosox.

Big said...

While i agree i hat the "off" color jerseys, I think the Pink ones have some of the money spent on "breast canser" awarness or some such. But it is a beating. No worse then when you see a dude wearing one.

gerry dorsey said...

i'm a huge supporter of breast cancer awareness/charities, but as brown said, these chicks buy them b/c they are cute, not b/c of where the proceeds are going.