Monday, December 3, 2007

BSC, it has their cake, and eats it too

Well, well, well. Another college football Saturday, another crazy ass day. I have been ranking teams and telling you, the sexy reader, what each team should do to get in the championship game, and boy have I been wrong.

I thought Ohio State would lose to Mich, didn't happen. I thought West Virginia would win out, didn't happen. I thought Oregon would ride Dixon to the champ game, didn't happen. I don't mind being wrong. While it doesn't make me look good, it does allow me to think about things i haven't thought of yet, and formulate new thoughts. What i don't get is how LSU AND Ohio State are in the big one.

Ok there are 3 schools of thought out there for ranking college football. There is the record only people. These people are the ones that say Ohio State is 11-1 and therefore has to be the best in the nation. That's cool, I get it. I don't agree, but I get it.

Now there is the people that take the team A beat team B, and if need be team B beat team C, there for team A is best. These are the people that have LSU in the big game. Again, I understand this point as well.

The last group of people are what i like to call "pollsters." These are the peeps that will drop a team that loses at least 4-7 spots in the polls, no matter when they lost or how they lost, or who they lost too. These are the same people who it takes a BIG win over a BIG team to move up the polls if there is 2 teams with the same record. These people probably think Georgia or VaTech should be in the game, and they also are the ones that would most DEF put in Ohio State. These people are shit heads. I don't understand them at all.

Now, if a perfect world all three of these groups would pan out and be weighted equally, and the 2 of the best teams would play for the National Championship.

Then we come to this year. I think that we got probably the "safest" two teams this year. I don't really have a problem with it. I know more people will watch with LSU and OSU. More people will go to the game. Its good times.

This is what i don't understand, and what i don't like. Ohio State is in cuz its got the best record of a major conference team, but LSU got in because they are the "strongest team" from the "strongest conference" despite having 2 losses. These are 2 massively different reasons for teams to be have a chance to play for a national title. Neither one of them makes since if they are taken out of context. Let me explain.

If we are going to by record. Then its Hawaii and OSU/Kansas.

How would be choose who got to play between OSU and Kansas?
Well, OSU won its conference with out a Conference championship game, and Kansas finished 2nd in its conference without playing in its conference game.

Edge OSU, but really slight.

The one loss? OSU lost to the UN RANKED at the time Illinois, Kansas lost to the number 5 ranked Missouri.

Edge Kansas.

But how did the team that they lost too finish the season, that might be better now once we look at the big picture. Well Illinois is ranked 13th, Missouri is ranked 6th.

Edge still Kansas.

I'm not saying that Kansas is better than Ohio State, but if you were going by just record, Kansas might be slightly favored over OSU, and most deff over LSU.

But that's not the way we pick who gets to play. We take all that and put in our own opinions on who is truly the best teams in the land. That's how LSU got in. They jumped 3 teams when they barlery, beat Tenn this last weekend. I get it, they play in the hardest conference in all of football. They never lost in regulation, they only times they lost were in triple overtime( i fucking hate that argument, they still lost.)

Here is my problem, LSU's 2 losses were to unranked teams at the end of the year. When they lost to Kentucky they were ranked, but we have since seen what kind of team they are. When they lost their 2nd game to an unranked Arkansas team, they dropped to number 6 in the BCS, behind Missu(lost),WVU(lost), Ohio St(idle), Kansas(idle) and Virginia Tech(beat #11 BC). Now tell me how a win over #16 is better than a win over #11? I can see it being worth jumping the teams that didn't play, but how can a voter who voted LSU below VT last week, say the win over Tennessee is a better win than the VT win over Boston College? I don't' get it.

Its almost like the voters are saying,"SEC, we are sorry about the whole Auburn thing a couple of years ago. Here is gift for ya." It makes me sick.

The problem with the BSC isn't the picking the 2 teams, its how. There is no real rhyme or reason. Fuck, just let me know and i will be cool with it. Don't tell me its the best record for one them, and then the team we like the best for the other one.

You ask me who the best 2 teams in college football are? Oklahoma and USC. Those are the two teams that are the most complete and they only reason they aren't in are because of Injury's. Fuck it.

I will do a full blown Bowl preview later in the week, so stay tuned.

No comments: