Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Holy shit, 1987 was more than 20 years ago.

It doesn't dawn on you how long ago it was until you flip on ESPN Classic and see something from that year.

That being said, I was flipping channels last night and came across ESPN Classic's presentation of some old AWA Championship Wrestling. The two guys wrestling? Curt Hennig and Scott Hall.

You all might remember these guys as "Mr. Perfect" (Hennig) and "Razor Ramon" (Hall) in the WWF boom of the late 1980's and early 1990's.

Curt Hennig has probably looked the same since he was born, so he wasn't that hard to recognize. The only difference was that he was much much smaller, so he obviously hadn't hit the juice (the guy died from steroids a few years ago.)

What blew my mind was Scott Hall. First of all, they billed him as "Big Scott Hall"...very original Verne Gagne, very original. Anyway, because I always remember Hall partnering with Nash or going against the 1-2-3 Kid or Shawn Michaels, it never really dawned on me that he's actualy 6'7"...not only that, but he hadn't become a raging alcoholic yet.

I thought I was watching Rick Rood and not Scott Hall.

Here's what these guys looked like in their WWE glory days (as you rememeber them)...


Hall (left) and Hennig (right) in their glory days

And here's how they looked on that AWA show...


Ambiguously Gay Duo


This post probably doesn't mean anything to anyone that isn't me, Brown or Blogador, but I damn sure thought it was interesting. Then again, I guess if you took a picture of me in 1987 and a picture of me now, I'd look pretty effing different too...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

tom selleck thinks that is one helluva tickler scott hall is working with.