Thursday, November 29, 2007

What if....?

Every year college football is great. Any team from any one of the BCS conferences has a shot at the national title. Every year people of this team or that team get pissed and say "why is my team lower than that team, we are soooooo much better." All of this is what makes the season so fun and captivating. From right now until a playoff system goes in, people will be talking about how great a playoff would be.

Now, I'm a bowl guy. I love the history, the guessing, the rivals that come out of them. I love the little bowls that put some Wac team vs. some Big East middle of the pack team. Every year people talk about how good this conference is, well the bowl games are where its proven.

We here in America and the world we live in, sports, are becoming so obsessed with finding out who is better, yet are the same people that don't want our kids to feel like losers when they play youth sports. It's crazy. The biggest travesty in the world is not having the "best" two teams play for a national championship, yet if little Sally's soccer team get beat by 7 Saturday morning, its cool cuz we don't even keep score, EVERY ONE'S A WINNER! Hypocrites. All of us.

While yes a playoff would lead to some GREAT football, and it would keep the whole one month off for teams that are waiting to play in their bowl, Its not how it works.

But what if.......?

What if we took the top 16 teams in college football and set up a tourney? Looking over BCS rankings this what one would look like.



Interesting huh?

I would love to see USC vs. Oklahoma in the first round. Kansas and Hawaii would be fun as hell. West Virginia would have the hardest path the championship, while again, Ohio State has the easiest.

I know all this would change after this weekend, but damn this would be fun.

Maybe I'm coming around on this whole playoff thing after all. Because as we know, we all can't go on with our lives without the knowledge of who is really the best college football team this year. In fact if this doesn't happen next year, i say we all go on a hunger strike.

But like Tobey finding manbearpig, we all know I'll never go on a hunger strike, and College football will always have bowl games. And I love it.

1 comment:

Brown said...

i just want to get more use out of the "Tobey's a menbearpig" tag.