Monday, July 21, 2008

Monday Morning MMA

So while you were out at the lake this weekend, sipping on some cold miller chills, in your new speed boat that's tied to a party barge, and trying ohh so hard not to get your perfectly spiked fohawk wet, there was some pretty good sports going down.

(why do I think all our readers are douchebags?)

I'm going to start with a little post about MMA. On a list of sports that I watch it falls somewhere behind Wrestling and Basketball, but just right in front of Baseball and Golf. That's why this is site is so great, Brown digs the slow, sports, I watch the good ones!

This weekend had 2 big MMA shows, one on PPV, and one was free.

Guess which one I watched?

(hint: PBR, while not as tasty as Miller Lite, you will often find me with a can of it at a bar)

The PPV was put on by a new MMA promoter, and suppler of douchebag appeal across the country, Affliction. Affliction is one of the many MMA joints trying to take a shot at UFC, the undisputed MMA champ right now. Every other promoter has a "gimmick" that they think will help them close the gap between them and the UFC, whether its giving young guys who fight really really hard TV time(WEC), or employing a body guard from a porn site (Elite XC and Kimbo), and this one is no different. Affliction tryed to take the best of both worlds form their fellow upstarts and signed a fighter who many believe to be the best Heavyweight in the world, Fedor Emelianenko.

Fedor is muay thai bad ass who doesn't just kick ass, he really does just beat bitches up. The rest of the card from what I've read was good, but the only reason to buy this fight was to see Fedor. He fought a former UFC Heavy hitter in Tim Silvia, and he did what Fedor does, he beat his ass.



I really don't know how good this guy is, but from what people that know mma, he's the shit. Problem is there isn't a heavyweight that's on his leval that he can fight, unless your name is Randy Coulter, and UFC won't release him(for good reason) and let him fight Fedor in Affliction.

The other fight this weekend was a free show put on the big boys over at UFC on Spike TV, and the headline fight was Anderson "The Spider" Silva vs. James "The N Hateing Dolphin" Irvin. Silva is regarded as the best pound for pound fighter in MMA right now, and he usually fights at 185, where he's the champ, but he bulked up to 205(light heavyweight), to take on Irvin. While I couldn't embed this video on this site, go over to MMA Linker to watch the fight. It only lasts about a min as Silva catches a kick from Irvin with one hand, and punches his face in with the other. Pretty effin bad ass. Go watch the fight, you wont be disappointed. I don't know where Silva will go next, he said in a interview after the fight that his first duty is to defend his middle weight belt at 185, but if the better fights are at 205, then this won't be the last time you see him as a light heavy. Side note, that would be effing awesome if he stayed at 205. I would pay mucho money to see Silva vs. Griffen, or Silva vs. Lidell.

The whole reason UFC put the fight on cable in stead of PPV was to try and bury Affliction's first PPV ever, by giving the fans just a big a star fighting on free tv instead of pay tv. Don't know if it worked, but I sure as shit watched the Spider over Fedor.

Good MMA Weekend.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

why do I think all our readers are douchebags?"

b/c a majority of your readers are probably in the greater dfw area. the odds are in your favor.

Nick Bade said...

good point

Anonymous said...

The WEC is owned by the same company as the UFC, Zuffa.

Anonymous said...

Also, Fedor's martial arts background is Sambo (A Russian mixed martial art with a lot of Judo influence, developed by the USSR in the 20's), not Muay Thai.

Nick Bade said...

again, both good points

Anonymous said...

because you're projecting your own feelings and thoughts about yourself onto others. Fat people hate themselves for being fat, therefore they really hate other fat people. The same goes for douchbaggery. Either that or you assume that the Tavern patrons read this while waiting for the next Maxim to come in.