Now, your alma mater, Oklahoma State is reportedly preparing to offer you a $10 million a year contract to come home and coach the basketball team in Stillwater. By the way, you're currently making, I believe, somewhere between $2 - $3 million a year.
What's the breakdown?
Kansas
- You've already got a National Championship and you've therefore raised expectations to be an annual contender
- Anything less than Final Four is considered "failure"
- Easily the most svelt of coaches on campus
- One of the "legacy" jobs in the country
- Easy job of recruiting
- Lawrence is pretty much a suburb of Kansas City
Oklahoma State
- Expected to return the team to prominence - they were in the Final Four twice during those John Lucas III years a few years ago.
- You've got NBA money without the true pressures of the NBA
- Not a basketball school anymore
- You're legacy to follow is Eddie Sutton
- Did I mention $10 million a year?
- It's your alma mater
- Tougher time recruiting
- Stillwater is a suburb of...Choctaw Casino?
I dunno what I'd do. I think both cases are pretty compelling. It's not like he's hurting for money, but $7 million a year is a shit load of money. The pressure is less at Oklahoma State, but it still exists. Kansas would be easier to reach success. If I was coaching at, say, Kentucky and I won the national championship, and then Texas calls me and says they want me to take over for Rick Barnes for a shit load of money, I'd probably say yes.
What would you do?
UPDATE: Thanks to Dorsey, I was informed that I got the numbers waay off. I think I was reading the "total contract" number versus the year-by-year figures.
3 comments:
not that it changes anything in terms of the point of your post...but your numbers are way off. okie state is offering like $3.5 to $4 mil, while he currently makes like $1.3 mil.
please carry on.
the 10 mill is a signing bonus.
I would still stay in Kansas. You've got at least 10 years of free reign now that you won a title.
In OSU you would be required to get them back to the promise land in just a few years.
oh no question. i would definitely stay at kansas. however, at least once a year i get surprised by the dumbassness of a coach and their career moves.
Post a Comment