Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Big podcast list

Dog Listening to Podcasts? Dog Listening to Podcasts.

One of the things I've recently been getting into, I say recently but it's been like two years, and to be honest it's probably one of the reasons why don't write much this blog anymore, is the wonderful world of podcasts. We have often joked that the big and the Brown should start their own podcast, and it yet may still happen, but today I bring you the dear readers my list of podcast that keep me entertained. There's a mix of sports and humor history and even little psychology. So enjoy!

This and the Nerdist are probably the two podcasts I listen to the most. When I say the most a mean almost daily. I'll pop

one of these two all my speakers when I'm getting ready in the morning, or when I'm working out, when I'm playing a videogame that doesn't require sound.

The BS report is hosted by Bill Simmons, a columnist for ESPN.com, who writes mostly about the NFL, the NBA, and anything Boston sports related. He's a big pop-culture fan, especially pop culture of the late 80s early 90s. He's a big fantasy fan, he plays fantasy baseball fantasy football and even talks about fantasy basketball every once and a while. His show is a mix of entertainment and sports, with guests like Adam Corolla, Seth Meyers, Jimmy Kimmel on the entertainment side and Mark Stein, Mike Lombardi, and Ric Bucher on the sports side.

He is extremely entertaining and I cannot recommend him enough. If for no other reason than to hear him and Dave Jacoby talk about the real world Road rules challenge. Pure gold


This is the other podcasts I listen to extremely frequently. It's hosted by Chris Hardwick, who used to host singled out on MTV, which I know is not high selling point but this guys comedy is extremely good. His interaction with his cohosts Mike Myra and Jonah Ray is entertaining enough on its own, but each week they interview a different "famous person.” Usually another comedia
n, and usually they talk mostly about stand up, where inspiration comes from, how they got started, what they like about stand up what they don't like about stand up, all those normal things that interviewers ask what it's done with great humor and self-deprecation.

It's called The Nerdist due to the website that came before it that Hardwick runs, and Hardwick's philosophy that every body nerds out over something, whether it's comedy, video games, movies, or even food. Because of this show, I've started following different comedians, watching different television shows (like Dr. who), and all in all becomes a much more rounded nerd. Love it.

Fresh Air Podcast

I know it's from NPR, but before you start with the whole “there's big pushing his liberal agenda” bit, here me out. This is a great little podcast that involves interviews and reviews of both pop-culture and the arts. Terry Gross is the host of the show and usually puts out one about every week. Recent interviews were with James Franco Natalie Portman, and Tom Hooper who was the director of the King speech. If you’re into hip hop at all, go find the interview with Jay Z. Great stuff.




Comedy Death-Ray Radio

Comedian Scott Aukerman host this little podcast, and brings with him a lot of his buddys from the world of “alternative comedy” which is a bullshit term, but that’s the label most of the have. Guys like Andy Richter, Sarah Silverman, Zach Galifianakis, Michael Ian Black, Adam Scott, and Paul F Thompson. If you dig those types of comedians, you’ll dig this show.

History of the world Podcast

This is a series that the BBC did called a history of the world in 100 objects. It's 100 different podcasts that last about 15 minutes each, and each one focuses on one object and uses that object to explain the time period from which it came.

Shrink rap radio

To be honest this is a podcast that I've yet to start listening to, but one that I'm very interested in. The tagline for this is "all the psychology you need to know in just enough to make you dangerous." I've been on a bit of a what makes your brain tick kick lately, and this is just a part of it. Topics of this podcast include: mindful sleep mindful dreams, a psychiatrist most bizarre case studies, and exploring behavioral economics. I know this will be everybody's cup of tea, but I thought my included in this list.


No comments: