Friday, January 14, 2011

Verizon getting the iPhone will make AT&T’s network better.

Are people going to wait outside stores in this weather?

Everyone is thrilled that Verizon is getting the iPhone.  Why? The universal answer leans towards “AT&T’s network sucks”.  The minority are Verizon people who’ve been stuck with crap that would just like a nice phone to have.

I have a theory about this.  AT&T’s network sucks because it’s the only one with the iPhone.  I can’t back up this theory because I don’t know shit about the technology.  So, if you’re a technophile or you’re Bear and have access to Wikipedia, then by all means, correct me in the comments.

No one who has an iPhone actually uses it for telephone calls.  They use it for texts, for internet browsing, for Twitter, for Facebook, for apps, for whatever, but rarely for phone calls.  By the way, that goes for all phones, but this is iPhone related…we don’t talk anymore, we text. (I have an iPhone for work, and though I don’t use it, it’s a nice phone and I can see why so many people like it…not those “Apple or Die” hipsters, but regular people.)

Anyhow, I digress. The theory is that you’re on the AT&T 3G network, and that network is 10 kinds of clogged up with people on data transmissions, then naturally, it is going to elbow out the voice bandwidth.  Hence, dropped calls. 

I’ve been an AT&T customer since cell phones became commonplace (I think I got my first “regular use” cell phone in 2004. I had a cell phone before then, but that’s when monthly plans only gave you like 30 minutes a month and I only used that to call my parents and my then-girlfriend.).  I actually haven’t had any of the problems that everyone else seems to have (sitting strong on the EDGE network).  I don’t seem to notice dropped calls or anything like that, so when people swear a blood oath against AT&T, I (hypocritically) think, “what’s this person so angry about? it’s a cell phone.” 

Anyway, given my network theory.  The people using the iPhone hate the network that is clogged due to iPhone use.  It’s a catch-22 of epic proportions.  So, when these people who HAVE TO HAVE an iPhone, but have sworn a blood oath to overthrow AT&T are going to switch over to Verizon, then the AT&T network is going to clear up,right?   When that happens, then maybe the networks are going to be easier and the calls won’t be dropped. When that happens, then maybe people won’t be so angry about their cell phones anymore.  And when that happens?  Peace in the Middle East!

Jeez, what’s the deal with people being so angry all the time? Can’t we just grab a guitar, have a drink, smoke a joint and hug each other?  Anyway, I hope Verizon is ready for the onslaught of people and data.

No comments: