Monday, June 29, 2009

The Passing of Michael Jackson

If you know me, then you know that I am one of the biggest Michael Jackson fans there can be.  I spend most of my day jamming to Jackson 5 and Michael Jackson while working, and I’ve been known to entertain wedding receptions with my renditions of “Don’t Stop Till you Get Enough”.

So, when I heard the news last Thursday that MJ had passed away, I can honestly say that it didn’t register.  Given that Ed McMahon and Farrah Fawcett had just died, I thought it was a creepy coincidence, but beyond that, I didn’t think twice about it.

Then the weekend hit, and I found myself watching 2 and 3 hour blocks of videos on VH-1.  (By the way, fuck you MTV.  I understand you don’t play videos anymore, but Michael Jackson made your god damned network what it is.  Why not take a break from your Made marathon and other bull shit like that and pay some fucking tribute.  Kurt Loder doesn’t have a job anymore, throw him a bone already.)

I’ll go ahead and say it.  I miss Michael Jackson.  Sure, he hasn’t done anything of relevance in the past 15 years, but he was planning on putting together the world tour, and I was planning on going.  When I heard that there was going to be a giant reunion tour with MJ and the Jackson 5 at JerryWorld, I was pretty much ready to fork over any amount of cash to go.  You can take your George Strait and U2, give me J5.

“But what about the fact that he diddled 12 year old anus?”  (Hello, pervert pedophile Google searchers, you’re going to jail soon!) Um, pretty sure that didn’t effect his ability to make music.  Look, I understand he had turned into this creepy, ghoulish character who liked little boys too much.  I don’t care.  I’m not saying that I wanted to be like the man, I just said that I was a big fan of his music. 

You can mock me all you want to, but I miss MJ, and I’m really sad that he’s dead.

No comments: