Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Guest Post, a Concert Review by our good Pal Nayfa

We love it when people send us post, blah blah blah, you know the drill.

Me, Nayfa, and a few buddies of ours went to go see one of our favorit bands last weekend, Lucero, and he pretty much naild it on what it was like, or at least what I remeber. Stupid whiskey and waters.

Oh and he speaks about the best damn golf anilyset ever, Mr. David Ferhety!


Highs and lows sprinkled with awkward moments set the tone for the weekend and what a weekend it was.

For the last month I’d been pumped to see Lucero at The Longhorn Saloon in Fort Worth. I couldn’t wait for Saturday to get here because I like the band so much. Then what I thought was going to be a great time at a rock show turned into a pseudo awkward ass whip of fairly modest proportions. Really I have no complaints; I got loaded and had a great time. (Hats off to JP for his hospitality)


As usual for shows like this, the opening act stole the show. I’m pretty sure they were called Black Joe Lewis and the Honeybears or bees(ED. its bears and they are super salty)(Joe is on the right)(he is from austin)(Stop reading right now and check him out, then come back of course to finish). I’m not sure which one, which is funny to me because as badass as they were I never really cared to find out for sure. I was there to see Lucero. Anyway the lead singer of this band must have been James Brown’s illegitimate kid or something and these guys could play. It was like the Blues Brothers meets Carlton on Fresh Prince of Bellaire. It was cool but there wasn’t much edge. If you get a chance to check these guys out, do it.

As far as Lucero is concerned, it was like having sex when you’re really drunk: Sure you’re happy to be there but you’d really rather go to sleep and do it when you wake up.

(Ed. This was the second time I have seen Lucero live and both times were fucking great shows. Yea, the guy can't really sing that well (read: he sounds better on the CD) but the fans at the shows are crazy and loyal. We know every word to every song and love to just Jam out with the band. The Sex when your really drunk is probably the best anoligy I have ever heard when it comes to live show like this, or pretty much any other live show for that matter)

I was pumped to be at the show but I was tired and fairly lit. They played several new songs which is cool but I’d much rather hear the stuff I know. Whatever, the show was really good overall and I had a really good time. I think that no matter what it was going to be a letdown because I had built it up so much.

Now I’ll send it over to Gary McCord to see how David Ferhety is doing on 16.
He’s in the rough… Deep rough!

David Ferhety wrote in D magizene recently about President Bush moving to Dallas and at one point in the article he discussed meeting with the troops in Iraq. While speaking of the soldiers he made the following comment. “Despite how the conflict has been portrayed by our glorious media, if you gave any U.S. soldier a gun with two bullets in it, and he found himself in an elevator with Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid and Osama bin Laden, there’s a good chance that Nancy Pelosi would get shot twice, and Harry Reid and bin Laden would be strangled to death.”

That’s by far the funniest fucking thing I’ve read in a long time. Why this man is being criticized is beyond me. He should be getting some kind of comedy medal or championship belt or something.

No comments: