Thursday, April 2, 2009

Best of the Best

Yes, I’m talking about the movie, not a ranking of anything in particular.   I loved this movie growing up (still do).   In fact, sometimes, I’ll throw out a “TOMMY NO!” or "POP IT, TOMMY! POP IT!” and see if anyone picks up on it.  For the record, only El Blogador has ever picked up on a “Best of the Best” movie reference.

Anyway, I’m flipping through the on demand listings yesterday, and lo and behold, I see the movie, so I immediately download it to the DVR.  I started watching it yesterday, and the things I never gave a damn about when I was 10 really bothered me now.

First off, how am I supposed to believe that James Earl Jones is a bad ass karate coach?  James Earl Jones.  Granted, I would probably listen to the man if he ever yelled at me, but come on, nothing about James Earl Jones says karate.

Second, Eric Roberts.  I understand that Eric Roberts has his place in Hollywood.  Some might say it’s because he’s Julia’s brother, others would point to his acting.  Personally, this movie was my real first exposure to him, so I’ve always seen Eric Roberts as Alex.  However, he’s so over the top in this movie it was unintentional comedy at its finest

Third, Chris Penn.  Why the hell was Chris Penn even cast in this movie?   The cowboy character was odd in its own right because he’s billed from being from Miami, FL.  Ahh yes, lots of cowboys in Miami.  Also, why the hell was the greasy Italian guy from Detroit?  Anyway, I digress.  How the hell am I supposed to believe that Chris Penn is a karate fighter and brick breaker extraordinaire?   Shit, the character and Penn were so “good”, he was the premise for Tommy fighting in one of the sequels!

I hate the fact that I can’t watch movies I used to love now-a-days because I take such a cynical and farcical look at aspects of the movie that I really should just gloss over.   Next thing you’re going to tell me is that Angelina Jolie couldn’t actually hack into a multi-global network with a 28.8 modem that no one else owns.  DAMN IT!

1 comment:

j-bizzle said...

i feel the same way about old 80s cartoons