Tuesday, March 31, 2009

It’s official, I’m old and out of touch

Your Honor, I’m just a caveman

Twittering. Tweeting. Twatting. Whatever the hell it’s called when someone puts something on the Twitter.

I’m sorry, I just don’t get it. Exactly what is appealing about reading small snippets about what someone is doing? Are we that ADD of a nation drenched in Idiocracy now?

I had the following discussion with a friend recently, and I’ll do my best to reproduce this verbatim.

Friend: “Dude, you need to get on Twitter.”

Me: “Why”

Friend: “It’s the next big thing. Everyone’s doing it. Facebook is so yesterday.”

Me: “I just got on Facebook a few months ago and it’s already obsolete?”

Friend:“Yeah, man, it’s all about Twitter. It’s bad ass.”

Me: “Why?”

Friend: “It just is, dude! You can put what you’re doing and people can follow you.”

Me: “Why not just text what you’re doing to people who would actually care?”

Friend: “You don’t get it. Trust me, dude, Twitter’s bad ass.”

Me: “I hate you.”

What is Twitter, exactly? As far as I can tell, it’s a place where you can put a sentence or two about what you’re doing. People can “follow” you and you can “follow” people.

That’s it. Nothing more. Nothing less.

How is that appealing? How is that a social revolution? Trust me, I don’t have anything that I do or think that is remotely interesting. Only 2 of you read this, and one of which is Big!

Admittedly, I’m a little slow on the popular technologies. I just got on the Facebook, recently bought my first digital camera and still do not own an iPod. But, I’m just applying simple logic here and I can’t figure it out.

Somebody help me understand the benefit and draw of Twitter because I’m beyond lost.

5 comments:

gerry dorsey said...

i just got on facebook, i don't own a digital camera, but i did recently join the iphone revolution (the iphone fo' real fool...belee dat!!)...however twitter/tweeting is fucking dumb.

ps-i just twittered that i'm leaving a comment on the tb&tb.

unitqm said...

Twitter works best for mobile devices.

It was helpful to me during SXSW to find out about free/secret shows. It is really just an extension of the human ego. "Look at me! Look what I am doing."

I use it to let people know when I update my website.

If used the right way it can be a useful tool.

If used by a socialite douchebag it is really obnoxious.

j-bizzle said...

i am not a twitter-er...-ite?...-oan?...

....san diegon...

anyway, i'm of the belief that twitter is ri-goddam-diculous and that brown's conversation was with lynch

Brown said...

wasn't lynch.

Bear said...

No... It wasn't with Lynch, but there's enough clues in there that it gives it away who it is! It also helps that I was standing right there listening to this conversation backing Brown up.