Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Nude Music Friday - Music Video's and the VMA's

The other night, after a long day of football and a wrestling PPV (which was awesome), me and the bear sat down and to take in a little Video Music Awards. This used to be one of the more enjoyable things that MTV did, as they rewarded good music put to good short film, and since MTV doesn't play videos anymore, I thought this would be a great time to see some of the better ones of the year, and they always have some good/crazy performances during it as well, so I rolled tape.

We started the 2 hour show about 10:15 or so and were done with it by 11:00. I'm not going to bore you with a break down of what happened, but here is a few high/lowlights.

The staged it at a movie back lot. Maybe 400 people there. I remember when this thing could sell out MSG. Ohh well.

The host was some dude i never heard of, from Britain, and he sucked. He made fun of his penis, republicans, and the Jonas brothers and their opal rings.

The winner for best new artist was some band I've never heard of, and I work for a pop radio station on the weekends! Tokyo Hotel? I got nothing.

Britney Spears won everything she could for "Pieces of me," an all right video, but they gave it to her because she's Britney. Whores.

They didn't show videos at all. This really bothered me. Even when they were introducing the nominees each video maybe got 3 seconds. Its the Video Music Awards. VIDEO!

Since I'm sure none of you have seen any of the videos, much like myself, Below I have posted a few from the more "legit" categories that they didn't even broadcast on the show. Imagine if they gave out the best Director Oscar before the show hit the air. Good call MTV.

Winner for Best Choreography and Best Art Direction
Gnarls Barkley - Run

A great video from a great band. Even has a Justin Timberlake sighting.



Winner for Best FX
Kanye West - Goodlife
I don't think they could have given it to anybody but this video. The graffiti cartoon fits the video so well.



Winner for Best Editing
Death Cab For Cutie - I will Posses your Heart
These guys are old school. Tell a story that has nothing to do with the band, but fits the song, and just have cuts to the band playing in some random place. Good stuff. BTW the singing starts at 4:45



Winner for Best Cinematography
White Stripes - Conquest
Video that fits the song perfectly. On a side note, I didn't know the chick from the White Stripes had a sex tape. Not that bad my friend.



Closeing the show was Kanye West preforming a brand new song, "Love Locked Down."

Now I love Kanye West, so I might be jaded, but this track it sick.

3 comments:

j-bizzle said...

that beat is pretty tight...did they steal those drummers out of china?

Bear said...

Seems the best videos were not played. That Death Cab for Cutie was phenominal! And sad to say the Kanye video is no longer available.

steve said...

i'll ignore the china comment and agree with bear