Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Is HD bad for baseball?

Crazy thought, right?

I've always thought baseball was one of the best sports ever because there were forms of cheating that were "legal" if you didn't get caught. I am purposely going to ignore the whole steroid/HGH argument because it's a topic that I really just don't feel like going towards. What I'm referring to is shit that pitchers do like scuffing balls, pine tar on the all and stuff like that. You know, the kind of things Eddie Harris told Rick Vaughn in "Major League" about jalapeno juice to get snot going and Ben Gay and Crisco on either nipple.

I love HD television. It's getting to the point where I can't watch sports without it. However, the advent of HD television has caught a couple of Major League pitchers "in the act" so to speak.

The most notable instance of this was the "brown stuff" that Kenny Rogers had on his hand in the World Series.



Here's an example with Scott Proctor in New York



Here's Fransisco Rodriguez (against the Rangers!)



However, in the first week of this season, we've had another instance raise eyebrows.

Jake Peavy's hand in Los Angeles



If you're wondering what my point is it is this: baseball has always had this kind of cheating. It's damn near a part of the game, and, yes, for some reason I think this is different than steroids.

The crisp picture of HD television exposes these pitchers, and though I really can't put my finger on it, I'm not a fan of it. This is one of those things that I've always approached as, "if you can get away with it, good for you." It's the real way old guys can stay in the game.

1 comment:

gerry dorsey said...

well i don't know what the point of that post was, but i agree with you...this is bad. i've always enjoyed the shenanigans of sign stealing, lubing up a ball, etc. i don't have hd so i just try to live in ignorance.